Header Ads

FREE-E-Book-Download
  • Breaking News

    Who Will Andy Kindler Skewer When His Annual State of the Industry Speech Streams Live, Free This Year? We’ve Got the Preview

    Every year we cover Andy Kindler’s annual State of Comedy event at Just for Laughs in Montreal. This year, global Covid-19 pandemic and social distancing efforts resulted in all festivals, including JFL, cancelling their slates of shows. And we lost our yearly pilgrimage to the Doubletree Hotel’s biggest conference room to watch Andy Kindler roast comedy in his annual State of the Industry Speech.

    Andy Kindler’s yearly address is one of our favorite events of the year, every year. As packed as the festivals are with live podcasts, giant headliners, new faces, and special shows, since we’re based in NYC, we can see most of those things all year (at least in non-pandemic years we can). But there’s only one State of the Industry show, and every year, Kindler’s address is mandatory for anyone who lives and breathes comedy- whether as a fan, a member of industry, a young comic or a giant celebrity– you just have to be there, and its been that way for twenty four years.

    2020 has taken so much away from us, but Covid could not take Andy Kindler from us. Thanks to the folks at Just for Laughs, Andy Kindler’s 25th Annual State of the Industry Speech will take place as part of the Just for Laughs first annual 100% Free Digital Comedy Festival taking place this weekend, October 9th and 10th. This year, Kindler’s event is not just for those who can afford a plane, train or automobile ride to Montreal. Everyone can attend!!

    This event will take place on October 10, 2020 from 6:00pm-6:30pm EDT (3pm for Pacific Coasters) and its live streaming at festivalhahaha.com.

    In case you’re unfamiliar, every year Kindler throws caution (and countless career prospects) to the wind by mocking comedy’s untouchables. He’ll skewer the biggest and most powerful comedians, he’ll trash the shows that nobody wants to admit to hating publicly, he’ll laugh at the networks that have aired crappola, and its all glued together with so much self deprecation you’ll think you’re at a roast battle.

    I talked with Andy Kindler over zoom about the big news and for a preview of this year’s speech, and he told me he’s excited about it, and he’s actually started writing his speech ahead of time.

    “I’m actually excited about it because I really have always wanted to eliminate the audience,” Kindler joked. “And I feel like I spent half the time in Montreal asking if the joke worked. So now, without me being able to hear anything, I can just make my own assumptions and be quiet. It’ll be quieter.”

    It’s not easy being Andy. Despite his seeming fearlessness, he told me he wrestles every year with who to talk about. Am I going after the right people? Will I get beaten up?” he asked.  “But sometimes I have to accept, ‘You’re going to say something and it could hurt someone’s feelings.’

    Here’s some preliminary thoughts that Kindler is considering for the big speech, and some previews about whose feelings may or may not get hurt.  And the first name Andy shared, is undoubtedly the king of comedy in 2020, Joe Rogan.

    On Joe Rogan: “I’m very excited this year, because I’ve never talked about Joe Rogan negatively because I’m a coward and he does TaeKwonDo. I know TaeKwonDo, I’m a black belt. But I’m not a black belt like Joe Rogan”. Kindler said he has held his tongue for years until Joe Rogen said he would vote for Trump over Biden. “Then it’s like, okay, this guy’s a horrible comic. He obviously knows zero about anything. So now I am fascinated that you can turn a horrible stand-up career into becoming a billionaire.”

    On Jay Leno (who manages to make his way into the speech every year): “I would like to apologize to Jay Leno, because he was just doing terrible comedy. He wasn’t helping the alt-right get moving. So I’m sorry about that.”

    On Mrs Maisel: “I did realize and I really honestly believe this. The reason why I can’t watch Mrs. Maisel at all, and I know there’s great writers on it and there’s great actors. Besides the fact that I don’t want to see Lenny Bruce come back from the dead and give Maisel advice….It is hard enough to take a real comedian like Lenny Bruce and do a biography of him. Or even to do any kind of stand up movie. You cannot create a fictional genius comic from a show. It’s just not going to be there. So when she’s killing and all these types of things, all I can think of is she’s not killing. That’s not a person. She’s not a real person. Why are they loving everything she says?” Please keep in mind. I may have seen 20 to 30 seconds of the show. This is the Andy Kindler promise: when people come, they go, “Andy, that is unfair. Have you seen the show a lot?” No, I have not. So what? Maybe you’re right.

    After hilariously scolding himself for staring at his own Zoom image, Kindler shared a few jokes from the speech, and they were laugh out loud funny. I wont give them away, yet, but he shared a BJ Novak joke, a Dennis Miller jab that’s spot on for 2020, some Adam Carolla material, and of course, Chris D’Elia.

    But there’s going to be a lot of editing this year, because the speech is only slotted for 30 minutes. “I’m going to go over. I will be going over my time,” Kindler said. Let’s hope JFL is ready for the overrun because we don’t want to miss a moment.


    Alive from home! Andy Kindler’s 25th Annual State of the Industry speech. “Finally, I’m alone.” Presented by CTV Comedy Channel: Every year Andy Kindler delivers his infamous State of the Industry Address at the Just for Laughs Festival. What is usually an exclusive event for industry pass holders is now open to the public and coming to you live. This event will take place on October 10, 2020 from 6:00pm-6:30pm EDT. Click here to set a reminder!

    Andy Kindler’s 25th Annual State of the Industry Speech is part of a two day overload of comedy in the world’s largest all digital, all free comedy festival packed with conversations, panels, screenings, stand up and more that include Chelsea Handler, Judd Apatow, Kevin Hart, Ms Pat, Bob Saget, Gina Yashere, Bobby Lee, Godfrey, Hannah Gadsby, Howie Mandel, Joe Rogan, and Sara Cooper.  Go to https://ift.tt/3iDYRKZ for the full schedule and details.

    Read more comedy news.



    from Comedy News – The Interrobang https://ift.tt/3nuxVRr

    No comments