Header Ads

FREE-E-Book-Download
  • Breaking News

    The 5: Mike Carrozza’s Top 5 Comedy Albums

    Cherubic, the new comedy album from Mike Carrozza is out Sep 4 on Blonde Medicine. Mike is a fun silly boy and his comedy touches on absurdity and surrealism, and he’s both fun and funny. The album, out today is about turning dumb thoughts you think into a fun time for everyone. Cherubic was recorded in back-to-back performances at The Ossington in Toronto. While he knew the late show would be packed, Mike wasn’t sure he was going to fill every seat in the early show. Rather than stare at a handful of empty seats, he printed out encouraging words, and had friends tape them to seats before the show started. That way, if people didn’t sit in a seat, he’d see the encouragement he wrote to himself from the stage and soldier on.

    You love him already, just imagine how much you’ll love his album. Before the pandemic hit, Mike was touring with Kyle Kinane. He’s a guy who grew up watching Just for Laughs and listening to his dad’s street jokes.

    And this week, he created the latest version of THE 5.



    Hi, I’m Mike Carrozza! I’m a stand-up comedian from Montreal and I love you. I’m a fun silly boy who loves a good giggle and my debut stand-up comedy album Cherubic is out September 4th.

    In honour of its release, I’m going to tell you about some of my favourite comedy albums. I hope you listen to these and enjoy them as much as I did. It is EXCEEDINGLY difficult for me to pick JUST FIVE albums, but I did it by having a friend force me to stop making lists for a few days. That said, here are the first 5 that came to mind. I love a lot of comedy albums. I have friends with incredible work out there and will gladly recommend more to you if you reach out to me! No problem!

    Hannibal Buress – My Name is Hannibal

    Hannibal Buress has always thought outside the box and this album is proof. While his latest special made use of videos, sound cues, and even demonic vocal distortions, his debut album did a ton of things that resonated with me heavily. It’s ultimately a silly, absurd sampler platter of odd thoughts that is presented so cool and in a cadence you can’t help but mimic. The moments of peaking behind the curtain on the artistic process of stand-up made me recognize that these conventions and expectations of the art form are ripe for exploration. Huge inspiration for me!

    Maria Bamford – Weakness is The Brand

    It was very tempting to include Maria’s entire catalogue of releases. This is Maria’s latest album and it is magnificent. Absolutely airtight. It’s a barrage. Maria Bamford is one of the people in the world that I feel grateful to be able to share a common era with. Such a sharpshooter. The precision of the act is impressive and feels like a lyrical dance from a craft perspective, but remains just a gut punch of laughs every time. If you haven’t taken the time to dive into Bamford’s work, lucky you! You’ve got hours’ worth of hilarious material you get to experience for the first time. I’m jealous of you!

    Kyle Kinane – Whiskey Icarus

    Kinane is a beautifully poetic and insightful writer packaging things in Del Taco wrappers and punk studs. The way he discusses any topic is enchanting and absolutely hilarious. This album is a standout because of how quotable it is. “This giant taco tastes like Italy!” “Make the ballerina toes, Kyle!” “You don’t dismount when the coach is away!” And finally a quote that I’ve adopted as a sort of maxim “If you’re not hurting anybody, I’m here to either assist or get out of the way.” I’m on record as calling him my favourite comedian and stand by it. Kinane is so funny. If I’ve got a long drive coming up, I can guarantee one of his albums gets a spin. Love ya, buddy!

    Nick Vatterott – For Amusement Only

    Nick Vatterott is such a talented writer. His performances are energetic and fun, his material is odd and offbeat. The first time I heard this, I was blown away. I really wish I had the perfect way to describe this album. It’s got meta elements that couch the record in a narrative that kind of ends with a twist ending? I don’t know, honestly. This album just makes me wonder why people colour inside the lines when this is possible. This dude is doing things that shouldn’t make sense, but they do and it’s wonderful. Vatterott is doing the experimental jazz of comedy and it rips hard.

    Todd Graham – Bustin’ Loose

    I was originally going to pick Hedberg’s Strategic Grill Locations, but who hasn’t heard that? Instead, I’m choosing an album from much more recent times by a fellow Canadian comedian that captured the magical feeling of hearing Strategic Grill Locations for the first time. Todd is an oddball who favours short jokes. They’re all clever, they’re all very funny. Todd is one of the guys comedians on shows pack into the back of the room to watch. I’ve been huddled at the back of Comedy Bar to watch Todd do some of his signature silly bits and even while we mouth along, it gets a laugh out of me every time. Check it out!

    So there you have it!

    I’m a big comedy fan and listen to comedy albums ALL. THE. TIME! Should you find yourself in need of a new recommendation, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me @mikecarrozza on Twitter and Instagram. Or on MikeCarrozza.com

    I will recommend my album, but I’ll find some other ones to recommend, too. Thanks for reading 🙂



    from Comedy News – The Interrobang https://ift.tt/2DxOWrS

    No comments